BE GREAT is a student-athlete development program whose mission is to support the growth of a well-balanced lifestyle for GGC's student-athletes, encourage holistic well-being, personal and academic growth, mature decision making skills, and a commitment to the campus and surrounding community. BE GREAT strives to support student-athlete development in five areas: academics, athletics, personal development, career development and community service.
In the process of achieving this mission, BE GREAT will:
- Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student- athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
- Foster an environment that encourages student athletes to effectively access campus resources.
- Encourage the development of character, integrity and leadership skills.
BE GREAT Commitment Areas:
- Academic Excellence - To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- Athletic Excellence - To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student athlete.
- Personal Development - To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth, and decision making-skills.
- Career Development - To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
- Community Service - To engage the student-athlete in service to his/her campus and surrounding community.
BE GREAT encompasses a variety of service and growth opportunities to help transform high school graduates into student-athlete leaders. BE GREAT consists of 8 components, each designed to help student-athletes develop the skills necessary to be successful leaders inside and outside of the classroom, graduate, and become leaders in the professional world.
Eight components of BE GREAT:
- Targeted Programing
- All-Grizzly Sessions
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Community Service
- Grizzly Cup
- NAIA Champions of Character Program (NAIA Live 5)
- The Grizzly Leadership Academy
- Grizzly Athlete Mentoring Program (beginning in Fall 2016)